HOT NEWS - THIS FORUM REAPPEARS - with no announcement

Discussion forum for anything else - not necessarily Probation, Family Court or Napo related.

HOT NEWS - THIS FORUM REAPPEARS - with no announcement

Postby Tolkny » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:02 pm

The return of Napo's Forum still without its links to its original archive is as secret as was its deliberate removal.

Nonetheless it no longer features anywhere as a link from the main Napo website.

https://www.napo.org.uk/sitemap

Just a bit of questioning via Twitter -

https://twitter.com/Andrew_S_Hatton/status/701706053600288768

Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Re: HOT NEWS - THIS FORUM REAPPEARS - with no announcement

Postby Tolkny » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:11 am

Thankfully the existence of these forums is again announced on the main Napo website.

https://www.napo.org.uk/

That it was ever removed suggests that whatever happened to cause the Forums to no longer be available was no accident as a consequence of what was explained elsewhere as thus: -

the forums are back on the website Seem to have disappeared during server maintenance.

https://twitter.com/taniabassett/status/705323189820375041

I note that access has still to be returned to all the archives that many people contributed to before October 2010 - I look forward to their reinstatement soon?
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby tabbycat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:42 pm

I add my misgivings to the above comments. The Forum's disappearance without explanation was opaque and lacked transparency. Members pay good money by way of subscriptions. Head Office serves Branches and members, not vice-versa. This lack of accountability seems aloof and out of tune with the many who might wish to access Forum comments from time to time if only to read and to seek reassurance that their feelings of helplessness and of being overwhelmed are not isolated ones but are actually commonly-held. They do not post comments but they are real people and shouldn't be treated with such disregard. Sad to say, I don't expect even now to see explanation and apology appear.
tabbycat

Postby KeithWaldron » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:37 am

Just to clarify the situation, there was nothing sinister behind what happened here. The forums went off-line without Napo's prior knowledge (i.e. it was a technical issue rather than a "human" issue). The reason appears to be because of an update that was applied to the hosting server which unfortunately took the forums off-line. Once we were aware of the issue we had it rectified. Napo apologises for the inconvenience but the disappearance of the forums took us by surprise just as much as anybody else.
KeithWaldron
Site Admin

Postby Tolkny » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:12 pm

The sinister thing was the removal of the Forum from the main website's list of links - that is very sinister, were it not it would have been fixed the next day as an organisation in the Internet age would surely monitor all of its websites at least once a day.

Napo has a history of removing material after leaving it in place, for some time, without explanation - making it appear secretive towards those who use its facilities.

Napo also has the experience years ago of a cyber attack from a group who were understandably angry with the work of some of its members and surely is not so foolhardy as to not make frequent checks?

I now look forward to the reinstatement of the former forum archive material which has long been missing, and still has not been replaced

Maybe my Tweet in search of it will get a response from our General Secretary as our history is important in order that those who come after can understand how we got here & learn from our mistakes rather than replicate them!

https://twitter.com/Andrew_S_Hatton/status/707175724264910848

Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby tabbycat » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Thank you, Keith Waldron, for your speedy response to my earlier post. Thank you too for the explanation and apology. So, there was nothing sinister: it was just accidental and Napo fixed the problem and restored the Forum without delay?
I may have the dates slightly wrong.....the Forum disappeared on 21st February and returned with a link to the Napo website on 3rd March. Apologies if I am wrong by a day on either count.
A few Napo members known to me told me they were emailing Napo between about 23-25 February asking if/why the Forum had disappeared or if it had been taken down. Okay, maybe not all of them got around to sending an enquiring email. But, I think some of them did. emails to Napo generate an automatic response that a reply will aim to be sent within 72 (I think, from memory) hours. No one seems to have received any further word and explanation from Napo.
Such emails sent to Napo would also have informed Napo that the Forum was down; if Napo didn't know of it already.

So, there seems to be four points of mishandling here; i) no response to email enquiries ii) no announcement on the Napo website iii) a significant time lag between the Forum's disappearance and its restitution iv) statements made since which say that the situation was fixed once Napo learned of the problem.

In the words of the immortal end of term school report: "Could do better".
tabbycat

Return to Any Other Business