Use of Napo's Forums

Discussion forum for general probation topics

Use of Napo's Forums

Postby KeithWaldron » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 am

Can everyone please remember that the forums are intended to provide a means of communication between members in a (preferably) calm and reasoned manner? Everybody does, of course, have their own opinions and beliefs - some of which are strongly rooted. However, wording these on the forum in a way which might be interpreted by some as pressing them upon others, should be avoided if our Forum is to flourish.

In the interests of unfettered exchange by all Users, we need to steer clear of any message which implies "I am right, you are wrong, and that's it". Opinions and beliefs are in general (and subject to Napo's aims and objectives), to be respected and accepted - not attacked just because they do not fit in with what you believe. Further to this, personal attacks are inexcusable, not acceptable in any way and could even lead to the culprit being banned from the Forum.

It has been disappointing recently to see the discussion on the main Forum being monopolised by a small number of users, some of whose posts may, from an objective, outsider's perspective, have the unintentional effect of deterring other users from posting comments. One of the reasons we do not see many new users posting on the forums could simply be because they are concerned that they too will be 'flamed' because of something they might say, which does not accord with what appears to be a strongly, commonly held view.

We always want debate on our Forum, but we are also trying to stop arguments and possible feelings of exclusion - the two approaches can be reconciled! Everyone likes a lively debate, but let's cut out the nastiness please, and substitute politeness. Can everyone "lighten up" a bit, and be inclusive and less judgemental of others. Fostering mutual respect among all users and accommodation of their views should encourage new contributors onto the Forum and enhance diversity of exchange.

Thank you, and best wishes for future posting.
KeithWaldron
Site Admin

Re: Use of Napo's Forums

Postby Tolkny » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 am

Can we please have a separate Forum area for discussion of campaign to keep probation Public with latest campaign advise and Press.

Members may get a better sense of the totality of the action and by adding their responses may bring forward ideas worth advancing.

I have seen a suggestion about using the 38 degrees organisation - there are several internet campaigning groups, I think is one better than another for us. They are obviously only going to give us support if we support other work of theirs.

Is there an overall TUC internet campaigning system that reaches out to the wider public - there are many thousands of folk adding comments to news paper articles, on the internet can we draw them in - can we get more stuff in local news papers.

I have seen NOTHING of any significance in my local news paper - I know I haven't written anything - but then I am just a lone Associate Member - 10 years retired - not up to date with current practice and wary of saying stuff that is unhelpful because it is out of date.

I am however at every opportunity conducting an assault about negative language in probation work and nonsense terms like "Offender Manager" so if you use any of this stuff don't be surprised if you get a gruff response from me and a link to articles on labelling theory. We can use the internet to link to other stuff for folk ready to read more

AND most importantly can we TODAY - yes Saturday - the internet is 24/7 - have a link from every forum page back to the main site and the latest campaign stuff - as a dyslexic I find it hard to follow signing around Napo's web-pages especially from the Forum.http://www.napo.org.uk/
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby Tolkny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:46 am

Can we URGENTLY please have a link to Twitter and facebook for ALL posts on every thread - that will help advance discussions amongst members.

I am sorry I cannot see how to do it but know it is possible because many web-pages I see have links that allow that web page to be shared via Twitter. I also have an application with my own web browser that allows me to do it with just about anything and a whole lot more but I am afraid I do not understand how to get best use of such techniques.

Here is a link to Twitter help pages https://support.twitter.com/articles/13920-get-to-know-twitter-new-user-faq#
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby Tolkny » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:31 am

What is a reasonable time in which to expect a response to a post in a Napo Forum that involves, Staff and Officers?

It is concerning that it takes so long because if this thread is NOT being monitored it is very possible something detrimental to Napo and risks legal action could sit here unnoticed until a Solicitor's letter arrives.

I am disappointed.
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby pavia » Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi Tolkny-just seen your post.Although I don't have any Forum "role", I do dip in now and then and at varying times have posted but for reasons explained elsewhere, find the availability of Twitter via phone makes life a lot easier to use rather than Napo forums which I usually access via home computer(when I can get kids off it) and I rarely look in the "top" section of forum but under the subject postings!
Napo doesn't employ someone to go through posts on daily basis-the Forum is largely for members to talk to each other most of the time (with moderators who check for potential areas of concern viz language etc). If members want to liaise with Napo Officials/Chivalry Rd staff the best thing to do is e-mail: info@napo.org.uk and the Administrative Officer on duty that day will pass on your query/concern to relevant staff member or Official who can respond. We (the Communications Group from Chivalry Rd of which I am a member)are trying to improve the website and have asked NEC for more funds so can upgrade and thus tidy up the existing clutter,delete old items no longer used,put other info on the webpage,encourage and improve ease for Branches to create closed/private Branch blogs-communication pages,develop staff training to work the changes (very few at present are trained to edit the website) improve links to other social media as you suggest (ie Twitter/Facebook etc)and so on. I appreciate your disappointment with late reply- in our defence it has been an extra-ordinarily pressurised last few months with little sign of pace abating so plse bear with us-we will get better! regards E
PS I put this in red as you did on the assumption this makes it easier to read? I hope thats the case anyway!
:)
pavia

Postby Tolkny » Tue May 07, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks but Red doesn't help me particularly although colour can be important to some disabled folk.

For me, best is black print on a lime green background which is how I set my email software.

As the Forum area is headed - ANNOUNCEMENTS - and the actual thread - is headed - "Use of Napo's Forums" - I suggest it would be good practice if either a member of staff was deputed to monitor it or, at least have their email address set to receive notification of the very few posts that it receives.

It was so long ago I wrote I just gave up - and do not remember what I wrote about so am not going to scroll back now.
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby Tolkny » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am

Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby falkor » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:27 am

I have never made it to Twitter :oops: I got as far as Facebook but Twitter? :D maybe next year!!
Image visit me on PRISON OFFICER FORUMS :mrgreen:
falkor

Postby Tolkny » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:42 am

Well done for spreading the word via Facebook, which frankly scares me, because I like to protect the confidence of folk who may link to me, so I have almost no Facebook Friends and am not sure what folk read if they click on my Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/andrew.s.hatton.1
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby owsbur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 pm

NAPO peddles it’s left wing propaganda relentlessly and is merely a self-serving hypocritical organisation which fails to serve its members adequately. They are at best incompetent and at worst devisive. They do not support members properly and ignore complaints. They are not fit for purpose and have achieved nothing for their hardworking members who haven’t seen a pay rise in years. All they can do is blame private companies and focus on their political ideology rather than serve their paying members properly. They are a disgrace and everyone should leave this pointless so called union.
owsbur

Return to Probation