Jonathan Ledger

Discussion forum for general probation topics

Re: Jonathan Ledger

Postby robpalmer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:35 pm

To what purpose? To prevent it happening again? Pointless waste of time, given the outcome.
robpalmer

Postby Tolkny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 am

There should be an independent inquiry into what has happened.

Have you yet initiated this via a motion to your Branch for the NEC?

Napo democracy cannot be controlled by Internet messages - all members have equal rights at representation and the Branch/National Committee structure is the way such democracy can be exercised.
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby JoePublic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:53 pm

There has been scant information from Napo. I understand that the general secretary has received a financial settlement despite facing allegations of misconduct. How much has all this cost Napo members? I see nothing amiss in asking for an independent enquiry. It is naïve to think scandal will go away. If anything in what has been written in on the webpage of black activists is untrue, then it should be immediately challenged by Napo.
JoePublic

Postby bobbyjoe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm

I have read the account on the black activists webpage referred to by the previous poster.
It is a devastating critique of what allegedly has been happening within NAPO & particularly within the officers group.
The link is available for anyone to read.
If any of it is true then I think the current officers group needs to be honest & open about what has happened.
If any of it is untrue then it needs to be robustly challenged.
Doing nothing leaves people to make their own minds up, provides ammunition for NAPOs enemies and greatly undermines NAPOs position as a progressive & tranparent modern trade union & professional association.
It is a very difficult & embarrassing position to be in - now is the time for open, honest & progressive leadership.......do we have this?
bobbyjoe

Postby papa chango » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 pm

I agree with Joepublic and Bobbyjoe this needs to be sorted and fast. The membership needs to see both accounts of events for the good of the union.
papa chango

Postby spider plant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:44 pm

I have read lee jasper's blog and am shocked. In our line of work we all know people can hide who they really are but frankly if Jonathan has behaved as alledged while outwardly portraying an intelligent, respectful and thoughtful man, committed to equality and justice, then he is a dangerous sociopath and should be locked up immediately. In short, I don't believe a word of it, I think it's a smear job by a disgruntled ex-employee and shame on Lee Jasper for presenting it as the truth when he probably has no idea what happened.

That said I'm sure Napo could have handled it better both for the complainant, the gen sec. and the members but these things are very difficult.
spider plant

Postby Tolkny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm

I have just now read the blog. I am surprised but not shocked and most of all VERY sad. Clearly there needs to be a proper enquiry and report to members.

The way to achieve that is via the democratic structures of the Union, open to every full member. If required the constitution does allow for the calling of an emergency general meeting of all members which is Napo's final policy making body.
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby robpalmer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 am

I have to agree with spider-plant. I have had dealings with JL and TW and so much of this doesn't ring true. I think we risk losing members if there is no response from Chivalry Road soon. The rumours are already circulating.

I am also interested in the fact that this has happened on the eve of the attempts to dismantle the public sector Probation Service . Or is that too paranoid?
robpalmer

Postby Moby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am

Quite frankly the statement put out by the Officers group was just not good enough. Do they really think that 'missive' is sufficient to explain the departure of our General Secretary....especially at such a time! As BobbyJo said this union is financed by the contributions of its members and propounds to stand for certain values. Perhaps Lee Jasper had his own agenda.....he probably did....but how do we know? What is also very concerning is the allegation of collusion, croneyism and 'cover up' amongst the NAPO officers group. It makes me have a wry smile when I think how careful we are to monitor everyones contributions in union debate and yet that short statement was regarded as sufficient explanation to members....rank hypocrisy!
Moby

Postby robpalmer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:47 am

I googled Lee Jasper to see who ihe was (his website/blog has about 8 members so he was clearly not 'mainstream'). Seems he has an interesting history of his own. At the risk of being accused of attacking the messanger not the message, it just shows what a hall of smoke and mirrors it all is. I am none the wiser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Jasper
robpalmer

PreviousNext

Return to Probation