Who gains? Who loses?

Discussion forum for general probation topics

Who gains? Who loses?

Postby Tolkny » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 am

Consequent on Napo not encouraging members to use this Forum and Napo members not using it?
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Re: Who gains? Who loses?

Postby tabbycat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Napo has over 8000 members. This Forum has 247. There's an obvious disparity here. Even 247 will be an overestimate: double-counting and departures could easily reduce the number to 150. Out of those, how many actually look at the Forum? I'd estimate a maximum of 50. Probably lower. Some guests will add to the number: non-members, ex-members, visitors,.. Many staff - even Napo members - are not aware of the Forum's existence.
NApo could do a lot more to promote the Forum e.g.:
i) Presently it's an opt-in Forum: a member has to hear of it then find it; or look at the Napo website and investigate "Forum". Then they have to adopt a User Name, password, and submit their email address.
ii) Instead, Napo could make it an opt-out procedure. They'd do this by allocating random User Names and passwords to every Napo member, thus increasing Forum membership potentially much nearer to actual member numbers. Many would log in out of curiosity. They could change User Name and password to ones of their choice.
iii) The Forum needs regular publicity. The NQ Napo Quarterly magazine should in every issue have a pre-written box flagging it up, how to find it, and what its purposes are.
iv) The Forum should also allow PMs (Private Messages).
By way of comparators:
a) I often access and use the streetlife Forum. It's good for finding reliable tradesmen, events, etc in local areas. It's a busy Forum.
b) I use the dartmoorletterboxing Forum. Letterboxing is a previous hobby of mine. In 7 months one of my posts has had 4439 views. And growing. Napo views at most are in the low hundreds.
c) This month's "What's Brewing" newspaper announces: " Bringing online discussions up to date.. the old Forum was once a trusty workhorse providing an online space for interesting and topical discussions.. it was time to shift to a newer and better option. Enter CAMRA Discourse... The new system works much better with tablets and mobile phones as well as giving you the ability to reply to conversation threads through email... The new Forum will replace the CAMRA Forum next year.. a light touch moderation system to make sure conversations remain constructive and views are respected.."
So, there we have it! Not for the first time, I'm throwing down the gauntlet at Napo Head Office and the NQ Journal: here are positive suggestions for change and modernisation which would be aimed at the members themselves. Is there anyone there willing to take up the gauntlet? Can I also ask any readers of this post to write in support of my suggestions if your user-status allows it? Thank you.
tabbycat

Re: Who gains? Who loses?

Postby Tolkny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:55 pm

Good suggestions - it is up to full members what Napo actually does.
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Return to Probation