Time to go

Discussion forum for general probation topics

Time to go

Postby Redundantmember » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Just to let you all know I, along with others, have been made redundant in my CRC. I'd just like to share my thoughts on this and why I ended up where I am today posting this at home.
In my view TR was always going to lead to where it is now; job losses, de-professionalisation, de-skilling and the driving down of pay and conditions. This was also the view of the national leadership, therefore after discussions strike action was approved. Unfortunately from that point some napo members decided to break ranks and collude with the whole TR agenda by unbelievably turning up for work. I continue to believe that those short sighted individuals (along with the Unison leadership, who chose not to ballot their members) directly contributed to the implementation of TR.
I can't understand how people who join a union to be stronger as a collective then abdicate their responsibility to the whole and somehow seek to justify it to their colleagues who stood together for the benefit of all. The situation now can only go one way and CRC colleagues nationwide will find their bargaining power undermined by local 'agreements' or more likely local imposition.
For my personal situation this no longer has any relevance but I just thought I'd share my thoughts with you.
Redundantmember

Re: Time to go

Postby Tolkny » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Thank you, I agree and am still bemused at how little current probation practitioners seemed to do collectively and publicly.

I wish Redundantmemember well & hope she or he will share what happens next as far as employment is concerned.
Andrew S Hatton
Tolkny

Postby tabbycat » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:59 pm

I write to acknowledge the emotions showing behind your Post, written at home immediately after registering as a user of this Forum. The Forum itself doesn't see many comments or contributions nowadays - you'll find more activity on other social media. It does though get visitors, including non-Napo members, and I do know that some do so and seek reassurance that they're not alone in their frustrations and anger about workloads, restructuring and - not least - the lack of will in others to try to do something to mitigate or to ameliorate this state of affairs. Many Napo Branches are finding it difficult to function and to fill Branch posts as well as to organise, to activate members, and to exercise their roles in relation to SMTs and employers in view of geographical distances and limited Facility Time. Adding to this, there's the perennial lack of Leadership.
My job and what I did in Napo over very many years representing members, Branch Officer work, and developing and revising area policies formed much of my identity. Unexpected change in my domestic circumstances caused me to have to leave work in an unplanned way. My emotional state following my departure and for a significant period was like the turmoil and grief of bereavement. Looking back now, I can feel some relief that I'm out of it. I know others who've made their exits for a variety of reasons and the overwhelming feeling I get from them after some little time for the dust to settle is similarly one of relief. It is different, of course, for those younger, perhaps with dependents, mortgage, debts, and years of working life remaining. What comes next when job, income and livelihood have gone?
You have my very good wishes for you and yours, now and for the future. I hope that you do find something.
tabbycat

Postby Redundantmember » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks Tolkny and tabbycat, I'm a past forum poster and have been an active contributor in years gone by, however I'd forgotten my login details so found it easier to re-register. Yes, I'd noticed the lack of use of the forums and had put this down to the popularity of the Facebook and other social media groups. I have also been a branch officer and represented my branch and members on national committees.
I agree totally that the lack of take up by branch members is disheartening. I see a bleak future for all public sector unions under this government, especially napo, they really are going to struggle in the current climate and with the membership perception of the national officer group.
Redundantmember

Postby tabbycat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:08 pm

The Trade Union Bill presently going through Parliament doesn't augur well for the unions in future. But, it is getting scrutiny and a mauling. Much depends on the end product. As for the Probation Service as was, some activists from my days have wearied and given up in the last couple of years, taking the view that "the fight is lost".
I spoke this week with a probation officer working in a CRC who said, inter alia, "I don't even wite my own letters nowadays. They're done at The Hub in (a named town many miles away in another county)..I'm so behind in my work..caseloads and workloads are ever-rising..promised systems aren't in place...we interview in booths (screens with little privacy and everything can be heard elsewhere). We don't have our own desks anymore. We hot desk. There's not enough of them. Then there are the i-phones so that telephone calls into the office can find us. We don't have computers. We have laptops which give rise to backache and eye problems.There aren't enough workstations or socket points...As for Probation Officers, there's hardly any left. I'm now referred-to as a Responsible Officer".
I left Probation a little over three years ago. What is being described now in a CRC bears no relation to the working environment that I knew. More tragedy than comedy, I think. Omnishambles! Now we know: there is no sanity clause.
Has TR been the greatest mistake since Noah decided to take the two woodworm onto the Ark? Probably!
tabbycat

Return to Probation